Are you having trouble breathing through your nose? Have you found out what brings you breathing difficulty? Several causes can be factors why you are experiencing difficulty breathing. It could be because of nasal obstruction, or chronic sinusitis, or probably a nose injury. In case there is an injury, you might be needing to undergo nasal surgery. At Refine Clinic there are experienced surgeons to take care of you. However, let us find out more information about why this difficulty breathing happens or can happen.
As mentioned earlier, we have this so-called nasal obstruction. What do we have about it?
Nasal obstruction is a condition wherein there is a blockage in your nasal cavity or nose. There are various factors why nasal obstruction occurs.
- Sinus infection
Other causes of nasal obstruction
- Deviated septum: The nasal septum is like a wall that divides the right and left nostrils. A deviated septum occurs when the nasal septum is shifted to either side of the nose. Additionally, it can also be because the nasal septum is crooked. Some people develop a deviated septum out of injury or trauma to the nose, while the others are naturally born with it. Sinus infections can also be a sign of a deviated septum. The rhinoplasty procedure is the treatment you need to address it.
- Choanal atresia: This condition is a kind of congenital disability. It is a condition wherein there is a complete nasal obstruction that may cause the newborn baby’s death due to asphyxia.
- Inferior turbinate hypertrophy: This is the condition referring to large inferior turbinates. In this case, it can cause nasal obstruction in either side of the nose. But, it can also occur on both sides of the nose.
- Nasal polyps: These appear like teardrops or grapes that grow on the lining of the nasal passages or sinuses. However, this growth is said to be painless and non-cancerous.
- Swelling: Allergies can also lead to swelling of the nasal linings. In effect, it can be a source of nasal obstruction.
- Oversized adenoids: Adenoids are the small patches of tissue located behind the throat. These are the glands that sit above the roof of the mouth behind the nose. On the condition that there are enlarged adenoids, it can cause difficulty breathing as well as snoring.
- Foreign objects inside the nose: Small objects can fit into the nose. This mostly happens among the kids when they play. As a result, the kids will find it difficult to breathe through the nose.
Symptoms of nasal obstruction
On the other hand, these are only temporary conditions. But, then again, you cannot remove the fact that it can still affect your life. You can confirm that you have a nasal obstruction through observing the following symptoms.
- Difficulty breathing through the nose
- Trouble sleeping
- Breathing difficulties while doing exercise
- Runny nose
- Postnasal drip
Sinusitis is an inflammation that can contribute to pressure, pain, and swelling to the sinus. Chronic sinusitis can last up to 12 weeks or more.
Causes of chronic sinusitis
- Blockage: Chronic sinusitis occurs if there is a blockage that prevents the sinuses from draining. This blockage may be due to facial damages, chronic infection, nasal polyps, or tumors. Any individual who has a deviated septum is more likely to develop chronic sinusitis.
- Biofilms: An existence of a colony of bacteria can develop thick films similar to teeth plaque. The recommended solutions to this condition are surgery and nasal irrigation.
- Unusual infection: These are the kind of infections wherein antibiotics are not working.
- Exposure to allergens and irritants: Chronic sinusitis is more likely to develop if an individual has asthma and allergies. These issues can increase irritation and pressure.
- Immune system issues: If the immune system is weak, there is a higher risk of developing chronic sinusitis and other health issues. The immune system is the natural fighter of the body against bacteria and infections. If it is not working properly, that’s the time health issues occur.
Although you might experience any of these that can cause trouble breathing through your nose, there are treatments available for you to cure it. However, it is important that the doctor was able to examine you first before anything else. The diagnosis of your doctor is necessary so that they can recommend the right treatment option for you.
Among the mentioned causes, a deviated septum somehow stands out both for nasal obstruction and chronic sinusitis. Why don’t we discuss some more details about it?
What to know about a deviated septum?
If you have a severely deviated septum, the main effect is to cause you breathing difficulties using your nose. It might even make you bleed. As mentioned above, the deviated nasal septum is usually occurring from birth or a nose injury.
A deviated septum out of injuries can be prevented. Some precautions can protect the nose and the other facial features. First, wearing a helmet or any facial protective gear for your face while playing contact sports. Another one is wearing your seatbelt while driving. Well, in this case, it is a must to wear a seatbelt. It is one of the important precautionary measures for your safety.
The doctor may recommend you to take initial treatments to address your symptoms. It could be decongestants, antihistamines, or nasal steroid sprays. However, these treatment options only work for the mucous membranes.
Additionally, there can be cases that these treatments won’t fully work. You might still experience the symptoms. A deviated septum can only be corrected through a surgical repair. This surgical repair is known as septoplasty. Sometimes, it works together with rhinoplasty or the reshaping of the nose.
Septoplasty is the procedure to straighten and reposition the nasal septum back to the center of the nose. There is a possibility that your surgeon will have to remove or cut a few parts before reinserting and adjusting them to the right position.
The surgery and the recovery period will depend on the severity of the nasal septum deviation. However, you should also know that not all the symptoms you experience can be cured by surgery.