Nasal surgery is necessary, especially if you have a nasal airway problem. The good thing is that nasal surgery can be performed in different forms of medical procedure. It can also be a benefit to you, particularly if you want to change your nose structure. With this procedure, you can be free from sinusitis or any blockage in your nasal pathways and improve the appearance of your nose as well.
What is Nasal Surgery?
Nasal surgery is a surgical procedure intended to repair the strange structures in the nasal cavity. Your nasal cavity is a passage that stretches out from your noses to the highest point of your throat. It makes up of several bones, soft tissue, and cartilage. Nasal surgery helps reestablish airflow and full capacity of a harmed or infected nasal cavity.
This surgical procedure is a common yet significant surgery with high risks and possible complications. You may have less obtrusive treatment alternatives. It would be great to consider a second opinion about the entirety of your treatment decisions before having nasal surgery.
Types of Nasal Surgery
In case you need to undergo a surgical procedure to your nose, your doctor may introduce the different types of nasal surgery. These include:
This type of nasal surgery eliminates some portion of the ethmoid bone, which cause nasal obstruction. You can locate your ethmoid bone at the highest point of your nasal cavity and builds up the ethmoid sinus. Ethmoidectomy can enhance nasal seepage into your throat.
Polypectomy eliminates polyps in the nasal depression. Polyps are noncancerous inflammations in the nose that can cause nasal obstruction.
Deviated Septum Surgery (Septoplasty)
Septoplasty, also known as deviated septum surgery, alters a deviated septum or other septal disfigurements that can result in nasal obstruction and difficulty breathing. Your deviated septum separates your nasal cavity into left and right sides and finishes at your nostrils.
This form of nasal surgery will remove a tumor from your nasal cavity.
Turbinate medical procedure diminishes the size of your nasal turbinates, which can result in nasal obstruction and trouble breathing through the nose. You can locate your nasal turbinates on the external sidewalls of your nasal cavity. They venture out into your nasal pit and are accountable for molding and separating the air that travels through your nasal cavity.
Other Surgical Procedures that Your Doctor may Perform
Your surgeon or doctor may do a different method in addition to nasal surgery. These include:
Rhinoplasty: It is a type of nasal surgery that repairs or reshapes the structure of the nose. Rhinoplasty is frequently called a nose job.
Sinus surgery: It is the extending of the sinus sections to consider proper drainage to the nose.
Reason for Nasal Surgery
Your doctor may suggest nasal surgery to deal with a diseased or injured nasal cavity. Harmed or infected structures in the nasal cavity can impede the progression of air through your nose. Nasal obstruction can lead to constant mouth breathing, sleep apnea, migraines, and recurrent nasal infections.
Your physician may consider nasal surgery for you in case other therapy choices with less danger of complications have been insufficient. Get some information about all of your treatment alternatives and consider hearing the second point of view before going to nasal surgery.
Your doctor may suggest nasal airway surgery for:
- Nasal septal deformity or deviated septum that is making it hard to inhale through your nose
- Septal spur headaches brought about by a sharp projection of the septum from a nose damage
- Inflamed nasal turbinates that broaden excessively far into your nasal cavity, hindering proficient airflow
- Nasal obstruction from polyps or an irregular ethmoid bone
- Nasal polyps or tumors that hinder proficient airflow
- Continuous bleeding on the nose, frequently from septal disfigurements
Different Doctors for Nasal Airway Surgery
Below are the specialists that can perform nasal surgery:
Head and neck plastic surgeons train in modifying physical imperfections inside the head and neck that can influence an individual’s appearance and capacity to work.
Plastic surgeons work in adjusting actual imperfections that influence an individual’s appearance or capacity to work.
Otolaryngologists (ENTs) is a doctor who specializes in the treatment of diseases of the ears, nose and throat.
Pediatric otolaryngologists (pediatric ENTs) have some expertise in the treatment of diseases and states of the ears, nose and throat in babies, kids and youths.
Risks and Possible Complications of Nasal Airway Surgery
Likewise, with all surgeries, nasal surgery includes risks and possible problems. Difficulties may get severe and life-threatening at times. Also, other complications can create during a medical procedure or recovery.
Overall Dangers of Surgery
- Anesthesia reaction like an allergic response and issues with breathing
- Blood clot like a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) in the leg
- Bleeding, which can prompt stun
Possible Complications of Nasal Surgery
- Constant headaches
- Harm to your eye, eye socket, or associated structures
- Injury to your skull causing meningitis, brain abscess, or spinal liquid spillage
- Failure to reestablish, or loss of your feeling of smell or taste
- Nerve harm causing numbness of the upper teeth, nose, or face
- Pain and debilitated recuperating
- The reappearance of nasal obstruction, augmented turbinates, or polyps
- Septal perforation or a perpetual opening in your septum
- Septal bending and return of the septum to its original form
Decreasing your danger of complications
You can decrease the danger of specific complexities by following your treatment plan and:
- Adhering to an activity, dietary and lifestyle limitations and suggestions before the medical procedure and during recovery
- Notifying your surgeon or anesthesiologist if you are nursing or if there is any chance of pregnancy
- Informing your physician as soon as possible for any worries like increase in pain, fever, wound redness, swelling or drainage
- Taking your prescriptions exactly as directed